Friday, April 4, 2014

Fly fishing brotherhood

I learned about Braden Smith thanks to a post by Morgan Kupfer of the Tight Lined Tales of a Fly Fisherman blog.

Morgan posted a little over two weeks ago about a fellow fly fisherman in need.

I decided to do what I could to help a member of the brotherhood... even though I didn't know him, and he didn't know me.

I reached out to Braden in an e-mail... and the only thing I could think to put in the subject line that made any sense was "Fly fishing brotherhood."

One of things on Braden's list of items lost was a 9' 7 wt rod. I told him that he must be a kindred spirit if he fishes a 7 wt... which has become a less and less popular rod and line weight in recent years. It's still my favorite rod weight for most of my bass fishing... but Braden primarily targets a different species with his 7 wt... a fish not found in the southeast.

In addition to a few basic fly tying materials, I sent Braden a 9' 7 wt rod that we had retired from regular use. It was the rod that Kelly used the most before I got her one she could call her very own. In our house this rod was affectionately known as the "Thunderstick." It had no catchy model name... just some letters and numbers that were a mouthful... not simple or cool like GL3. It was an IM6 graphite rod (with decent quality hardware) branded for and sold by Sportsman's Warehouse. I think it may have been made by Cortland, but can't be sure of that, and don't remember how I came to that conclusion.

The rod was in good fishable condition, but had lots of wear and tear. It had caught many fish on waters around the southeast before it made its way to Braden in western New York. This rod has history.

I had two minor requests of Braden if he was to accept this rod...
  1. Carry on the "Thunderstick" name.
  2. Send me some pictures of the Thunderstick back in action.
He is a man of his word.

The Thunderstick catches chrome.

Thunder-steel!

Fish on, brother.

10 comments:

  1. Jay, let me commend you and Kelly, for that matter, for sharing some love and Brotherhood with another angler during an unfortunate circumstance. The world is full of negativity. Sure happy to see some one being classy "Paying It Forward" for a change. BTW, thanks for adding my blog link and welcome to my BlogBuddy Community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel,
      Kelly wasn't super excited about letting the Thunderstick go. It was really the rod that taught her to fly fish after all... but when I told her it was going to get a chance at a new life fishing for Steelhead, she thought that was pretty cool.

      Glad to have you on my blogroll and thanks for the reciprocity.

      Delete
  2. Way to go Jay and Kelly! Fly Fishing Brotherhood love it!
    Remember me I use to have the blog Flywatersedge, now it's Somuchwater.com Hope you can visit it once in a while.
    THUNDERSTICK!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin,
      Glad to see you again. I'll have to check out your new blog and get you back on the blogroll. When you guys are always reinventing your blogs... it makes it hard to keep up.

      Delete
  3. I think that relationships that we have made along our fly fishing and blogging paths have led to some amazing stories. This certainly is another. Way to pass the torch Jay and Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Howard.
      Our stories are what make our lives interesting, and this whole blogging thing has made for some good ones. Glad to have people like you in that circle.

      Delete
  4. Good on ya, Jay. That was a fine thing to do for a fellow angler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ty. I would just hope someone would do the same for me under similar circumstances.

      Delete
  5. That's really cool of you to do, Jay! Glad he was able to get into some fish on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juan. I never thought I'd see the Thunderstick catch a Steelhead.

      Delete