Monday, March 24, 2014

First bass of 2014 on the fly!

It's seems like it came much later than last year, but looking back at the first bass on the fly for 2013... we actually beat it by one week and one day. Winter has really dragged out this year, and it looks like we have at least a few more days of cold weather ahead.

It was just warm enough on Saturday that Kelly and I decided to go wade our local urban creek. We chose a spot on the stream that I have affectionately called "Dowisetrepla." If you're a fan of HIMYM, you know what I'm talking about already. For the rest of you... you'll just have to click the link. Let's just say we take showers when we're finished wading in this particular spot... better safe than sorry.

So here it is... in all 10 inches of its glory...


The fish was caught on a black bead head woolly bugger (I believe a size 8) using my vintage Browning Boron fly rod. I plan to do a post at some point in the near future on my Browning fly rods... so if you like those sort of posts, stay tuned. I also tried a small Stealth Bomber in vain... apparently no one was brave enough to break the surface to eat yet.


Kelly opted for the ultralight and the 4" Powerbait worm, which turned out to be a pretty good decision. She caught several more (and larger) than I did as is expected.


I knowingly handicapped myself in hopes of being the one to land that first bass of the year on the fly (while quietly reassuring Kelly of her ultralight choice and suggesting that my use of the fly rod was futile).

Last year she got it, but not this go around.

I win.

12 comments:

  1. Jay, you are sure right about the winter. I think that goes to speak most everybody in the blogging circles. Anyway, great to see with a bass on a fly rod. Wooly Buggers this time of year are hard to beat. Enjoy your shower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, the shower was brief, not really enjoyable... but necessary... given the circumstances. I don't think any other fly would have done the trick except a woolly bugger. I also tried a bigger size thinking that might entice one of the bigger fish, but they just ran away from it. They still aren't very enthusiastic about attacking anything. I can't wait for things to warm up for good... and for the bass to start being the fish we want them to be again.

      Delete
  2. I'm not very excited about attacking anything either. Turn on the heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard, I hope you get back to form as soon as the bass do! Take care, my friend.

      Delete
  3. I like to see those bass getting active in the creeks. I'm ready to start hitting the water for some smallies!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you just let the fly sit? =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's why I didn't catch any on the surface... I wasn't patient enough.

      Delete
  5. Jay
    That bass looks like a cousin to the one I landed Friday on Walker lake. For me anything on the fly is thrill, as with your bass on the Browning. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill,
      I read your recent post about travel cutting into your fishing time this year. I hope we'll still be able to squeeze in a trip or two with you.

      Delete
  6. Jay
    No problem I will make time for you and Kelly--May is the best time at daylight--I will be making a trip next week using the Boggle Bugs on Friday with one of my fly fishing buddies to test the waters--check the blog for results

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to your report. Kelly and I are headed to the northwest corner of the state in the morning armed with fly rods and every bass fly we've got... and lure chucking rods just in case the fly rods don't work out. I'll let you know how it goes.

      Delete