Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"Gaudy riot"

The blazing oranges of the maples.


The brilliant golds of the tulip poplars and beeches.


The deep reds of the dogwoods.


They're all gaudy...


especially when juxtaposed among the evergreen pines and cedars...


but it certainly creates a beautiful landscape.


During the past week, Oak Mountain State Park (where I am grateful to be able to go to work every day) has become a palette of autumn splendor. Today's overcast skies and my "point and shoot" don't nearly do it justice, but hopefully you get the idea.

This post title was borrowed from a poetry post entitled "Subtlety" from the blog "Mike's Gone Fishin'... Again" by Mike Sepelak. I highly recommend you read Mike's poem for a more introspective examination of autumn's colors.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful stuff, Jay. I, personally, love the maples. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The maples seem to be a universal favorite. The vividly orange one in that last pic is a consensus favorite among my coworkers. Oak Mountain State Park is over 9,000 acres, but when discussing the fall colors earlier today we all brought up that same tree... "have you seen that orange maple by the golf course?"

      Delete
  2. Great colorful post...thanks Jay. Gotta love the fall colors no matter where you live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first autumn in Birmingham, and it's definitely the most colorful fall I have ever experienced. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jay
    I am back after over of month of work on the Family Ancestry, I am finishing up this week after 2 years of work. The fall colors is my favorite part of this time of the year. My wife and I were in the Smokies this year for the changing color, outstanding!!! The trout fishing has slowed on the tailrace, because of a lack of food. I will be doing a post on this soon. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you back in action, Bill. Thanks for stopping by. I'll be looking for that post on the tailrace. Kelly and I almost went there yesterday... maybe good that we didn't.

      Delete