Monday, July 16, 2012

We'll call it a tie

Finally...

19" Largemouth

I catch a respectable fish again. A Northern Largemouth (Micropterus salmoides salmoides) that qualifies for the Bass Slam too! Maybe I won't be outfished by a girl this time.

The girl won't go down easy though.

A nice 15" Smallie

Oh yeah, taking the lead back.

16" Largemouth

The lead may be in jeopardy...

Good fish on the line.

18" Smallmouth

Okay, okay, we'll call it a tie.

Last, but certainly not least, a rare freshwater shark sighting...


In addition to observing this rare creature and catching our fair share of good fish, we saw a White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus) cross the creek, a family of three River Otters (Lontra canadensis) spying on us from behind the cypress knees at the water's edge, two more Whitetails browsing on the shrubbery along a rocky shoal, and the usual Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) for good measure.

I'd say one heck of a day on Cypress Creek.

In case you missed it, be sure to check out the previous post for some nice photos of one of our favorite outdoor places. I got a little carried away and posted twice tonight, but don't worry... that's not likely to happen again anytime soon.

15 comments:

  1. I would say some fine Bass fishing by both of you. Have to say I do love me some Smallies, though, I don't get much opportunity. Diggin' the shorts you were wearing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me some Smallies too. I would certainly trade my Largemouth luck for Kelly's Smallmouth fortune. The shorts are my official Cypress Creek wading wear. I wore those on my first trip there over five years ago. I'm glad you like 'em.

      Delete
  2. Jay I think she needs to get the win. That smallie is amazing and must have been a blast on the fly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly may deserve the win here based on the Smallie factor, but if you check out all the past posts with the label "outfished by a girl," you'll see that she has far more checks in the "W" column than I do. I'll take whatever I can get... even if we just call it a wash.

      Delete
  3. Great stuff and indeed a great day. Great post\photo thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt. That first Largemouth might even be worthy of your blog... I know you post a lot of lunkers!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin. Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  5. Jay
    I can say one thing with certainty you didn't land any of these big boys on Smith. They are pulling water now big time and the bite here is next to nothing. Those are some nice bass, were they on top? Thanks for sharing a great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All were on top. Is there any other way?

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Alan, I did my best to make it look big, and it's still 2.5" smaller than Kelly's FL Largemouth from last year!

      Delete
  7. tie goes to the writer...

    great fish...both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I like that ruling. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. I was willing to call it a win for Jay but he's the one that called it a tie. I'm just happy he finally caught a good fish. This was the first trip where both of us caught respectable fish.

    ReplyDelete