As I mentioned in my last post, I was "recently given a huge lot of plastic worms and such." I'm still not quite ready to tell that whole story, but among the items were a good number of spinnerbaits that needed some love. Only a select few in the bunch even had skirts, and those were pretty much dry rotted and falling apart. When Kelly and I went to Bass Pro several days ago to get some worm hooks, I also picked up a package of replacement spinnerbait skirts. I can honestly say this was the first time I have ever bought these for their intended purpose- without plans of dismantling them to use as "sili legs" for fly tying.
Since I had these newly skirted spinnerbaits that needed testing, I needed a rod capable of casting them. They're just a bit much for my ultralight spinning rods.
There were also a handful of old rods that accompanied the "huge lot of plastic worms and such," but none of those were quite what I was looking for today. (More about those rods to come. Stay tuned.) I remembered a rod that my good friend Don rescued from a trash pile last fall. Don and I both have a habit of scouring the trash in our respective neighborhoods for treasures that other people consider trash. We've both found some pretty awesome items. Fortunately for me, Don isn't a fisherman so he sends any fishing related items my way. The rod wasn't anything spectacular, but I thought it might serve my purpose.
The original reel on it was damaged and useless, so I said goodbye to that in favor of some new hardware.
New reel spooled, mounted, and ready to fish.
Now for the results...
I only managed to land one overzealous Green Sunfish.
While Kelly caught the only bass of the day with her trusty fly rod.
There certainly won't be any convincing her to give hardware fishing a try anytime soon.