Sunday, July 15, 2012

Gear recommendation: Natural Gear Dry Vent River Shirt

Some of you may remember my Valentine's Day gift exchange with Kelly earlier this year. She gave me a new fishing shirt, and I gave her a pet snake... no joke. I was unfamiliar with the brand, but Kelly new that the name and the logo would appeal to me.

Branding that appeals to the naturalist/herpetologist.

The other tags on the shirt give the details.

Those of you that hunt are probably more familiar with the brand. Natural Gear specializes in camouflage apparel for hunting, but they might just make the best fishing shirt money can buy. Kelly bought the first one at Sam's Club, and I have since bought four more. The last two were on sale for less than $17 each.


The shirts are considerably less expensive than similar shirts from Simms, Columbia, and Ex Officio (which I also have in the closet)... and I actually like them better. I think my favorite feature is the magetic flap closures on the chest pockets. They even come with a friendly warning for fisherman with pacemakers.


The magnetic flaps make it really easy to get to your fly boxes when needed, but provide ample security when you accidentally take the plunge into a deep hole. I know, I've done it. There is also a really nice zipper pocket that I primarily use for tippet. I haven't really used my chest pack since I started wearing these shirts.

The Natural Gear Dry Vent River Shirt is available at Sam's Club, but maybe not for much longer. The last time we checked, they were on clearance for less than $12. It's pretty obvious that fishing apparel really isn't Natural Gear's focus, but I personally think they shouldn't give it up. It's unclear from their website, but it seems they might not be offering these shirts for much longer. The "sunset" orange one that Kelly gave me is currently being closed out. These shirts are well worth their full price on the website, but they are a steal at the prices we've seen at Sam's and the closeout price online.

I sent Natural Gear an e-mail to tell them know how much I liked their shirts and let them know I would be posting this recommendation to my fellow anglers. I really hope somebody at Natural Gear is listening.

So, if you're not concerned with wearing what all the cool fly fisher kids are wearing, check these shirts out before they're gone.

8 comments:

  1. I've had a Columbia vented shirt for a while and wore it for the first time yesterday. I love it! That being said, I'm down for more if I can find Natural Gear here in Colorado. Less cost is a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. Purchased at Sam's Club.
    May check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have eyeballed those shirts at Sam's Club in the past. Thanks for the tip. Looks like a visit to Sam's Club is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For an update, Kelly and I went to Sam's to buy dog food a few days ago, and they had a brand new shipment of the shirts in... and the price was back up to around $20. Maybe they'll be sticking around for a while after all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't find then anymore...Anyone??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcelo, the last time I checked Sam's they were still carrying them, but they might be seasonal. They seemed to have lost their place on the shelves to winter fleece jackets. I'm not sure if it's the same in every store, but in both of the Sam's stores where I have seen them they were located with outdoor/camping gear- not with the rest of the clothing. Hopefully this helps you. They're great shirts, and I wish you luck finding some out there.

      Delete
  6. Bought one today at Sam's in Antioch, TN $16.98

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha, you got a good shirt at a good price. I only wish they were made in the USA.

      Delete