Sunday, May 20, 2012

Karma

Well, Kelly and her "Electric Damsel" blue BoogleBug popper did it again.

Yesterday we went to Cypress Creek, one of our favorite outdoor places, to introduce the OBN Fall River bamboo fly rod to some Southern style warmwater fly fishing... and, as usual, I was outfished by a girl. I kinda wish I had put the Fall River rod in her hand instead of keeping it to myself all day. I think today I'll let her use it so maybe she can catch another one like this...


This was Kelly's new personal best Smallmouth at nearly 18" and another solid addition to our Bass Slam total.


I think this is definitely another one worthy of the BoogleBug fly fishing reports gallery.


I was very proud of Kelly as always, but I couldn't help but wonder why she seems to have all of the luck lately.

I'm pretty sure it's karma... and this picture is the source of my bad fortune.


It's been almost three years since this picture was taken at Cypress Creek, but I'm pretty sure I'm still paying the price for it. The bass above was the last of three about this size that I caught that day. I had also caught a whole bunch of other fish (sunfish and Rock Bass) while Kelly was having a really slow day- just a few sunfish brought to hand. It was becoming a bit comical at this point (at least I thought so), and Kelly made me laugh hysterically when I asked her to come take a picture, and she replied, "take your own damn picture." I couldn't help but laugh... and I've been paying the price for that moment of laughter captured on film digitally for nearly three years now.

Karma's a %*!@#.

I'll be posting more about our adventures with the Fall River fly rod later this week, so stay tuned for more.

21 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to the next post Jay. I say if you want to change your luck, let Kelly fish it. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She fished it today, lots of luck, but no lunkers.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful smallie! That would top my personal best as well and I'm just a little bit jealous , congrats to kelly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least her personal best Smallie doesn't top mine. I do claim them as my favorite fish. Her PB Largemouth, Spotted, and Redeye all have me beat though!

      Delete
  3. Jay & Kelly
    Unreal Smallmouth on the old Boogle and blue at that--never use the blue, but you can bet I will be getting one. What wt and length rod was Kelly using and how was she working the popper. I know sometimes the best hit usually comes when the popper is setting still. The spots on Smith are doing nothing now, I did a post this morning about my bluegill quest, which was a tough trip yesterday. I had to really work for the ones I landed. Thanks for sharing a great trip!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, the "Electric Damsel" blue is also what landed her big Spot from the Cahaba. She was using her 9' 6 wt... the popper was sitting still, drifted slowly, tight to the bank. Maybe the action on the lake will pick up by the first weekend in June.

      Delete
  4. Nice fish! Small mouths are my favorite fish, on the fly rod or not. I am starting to think Kelly has out learned the teacher. You may want to try burning sage to get rid of the bad juju you got going on before you take back your title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first read "burning sage" I thought you were suggesting I make a sacrifice to the fish gods in the form of a high dollar fly rod... then I realized you were thinking more voodoo and herbs.
      Good thing I don't own a Sage rod or I might consider the sacrifice.

      Delete
  5. Wow. That is a GREAT fish. On another note, you'll be happy to know the book you gave me came in handy once again. I'll try and share a post about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, thanks for the comment. Glad to hear the book has come in handy, and I can't wait to see what you found.

      Delete
  6. Nice Bass Kelly!
    Jay, Karma almost never forgets trust me I know.
    I once made light of a friend fishing a Woolly Bugger under an indicator. I'll never do that again! You might try this, hold your open fly box up over your head while facing west and standing on one leg. Keep repeating I am a fisher of the fly and I can learn to do better. Look for the green flash as the sun sets. The sign of Karma's forgiveness! Oh and Kelly has to take a picture of you doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try anything at this point.

      Delete
  7. Awesome fish! Seeing all of these posts with Kelly killing it, makes me want to rethink teaching Bridget the ways of the fly...

    Looking forward your report with the bamboo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teach her the ways... you'll be glad you did... even if you never catch the big fish of the day again.

      Delete
  8. Man, that girl has some serious fish mojo workin'. Nice smallie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lost my mojo, but I know I can get it back. It only takes one good fish.

      Delete
  9. Man, you guys are slaying the bass lately...especially her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justin, thanks for stopping by. Girls rule!

      Delete
  10. I've read this twice now.... Those are just some awesome fish. Nice work. Say, I brought the book down to North Carolina the other day when Sara and I went on a day trip to Raleigh. There was this little voice in my head that said, "hmmmm, you should bring that reptile and amphibian book in case we come across something scaly." And low and behold, skinks galore at the Duke botanical gardens. I'll see if I can find the photos and identify it for you. That book has come in wonderfully handy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you've enjoyed the book. Sorry you've had to read this twice. It's about time I put up some fresh content.

      Delete
  11. Wow, that is a really NICE Smallie, a trophy anywhere.

    ReplyDelete