Sunday, April 22, 2012

From "the Home of the Blues" to "the Magic City"

I apologize for my recent blogging hiatus.

I wish I could say it was all because I was too busy fishing, but it's mostly due to relocating the headquarters of The Naturalist's Angle.

I've officially moved from Memphis to Birmingham. For the first time in quite a while, Kelly and I are living under the same roof again.

Living in a new city, I'm home again.

In the limited amount of free time we've had between moving trips (with both vehicles loaded to their limits) and the daily grind of work/school, we've still managed to find a little time for some local fishing.

Cahaba River Alabama Spotted Bass, 21 March 2012

A hefty Green Sunfish from Shades Creek, 4 April 2012

Midland Watersnake from Shades Creek, 4 April 2012

Shades Creek Green Sunny double, 7 April 2012

Shades Creek Alabama Spotted Bass, 7 April 2012

On Easter Sunday we went to Lewis Smith Lake (Fishing Through Life Bill's home water) in the kayaks. I caught a single 4" Longear Sunfish, while Kelly caught a whole bunch of sunfish, a few small bass, and this little thing... 

20.75" Northern Largemouth Bass, 8 April 2012

This fish more than qualifies for the Bass Slam. It's been a while since we've added anything to the list, but it's still a quest we plan to complete. Dobby dog got to go along on this trip, and Kelly couldn't help but get her in this photo for a little dog-fish size comparison.

The fish looked a little thin, but it was still a lunker.

The gentle release

Chillin'

"Must learn balance, Dobby dog"

Cahaba River Alabama Spotted Bass, 20 April 2012

Cahaba River Alabama Spotted, 20 April 2012

Shades Creek Alabama Spotted, 21 April 2012

Perhaps the most colorful Green Sunfish I've ever seen...

Shades Creek Green Sunfish, 21 April 2012

same Green Sunny as above

Whew... that pretty much brings us up to date.

Even in a "magical" new place with better fishing opportunities close to home, I'm still being consistently outfished by a girl.

Wait until you see what she did yesterday.

"Earth Day" fishing report coming soon.

24 comments:

  1. Congrats on the move. Looks like you've got the new waters figured out already , great looking bunch of fish there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the hardest part about figuring out new water is finding access. We've managed to find a few access points to the local ditches that make for good after work fishin' holes. After all, even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you back in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly is definitely back in action! I'm still lagging behind.

      Delete
  3. Those are some wonderful fish. Impressive bass.
    Are those glass rods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are (cheap) glass rods- W&M Eagle Claw "Featherlight" rods to be exact. One is a 6'6" 5 wt from the mid 90s, one of my first rods, and the other is a newer model 8' 5/6 wt. The new one is pretty heavy to be called "Featherlight," but at least it was light on the wallet. Tune in to the next post to see how it handled a really nice fish Kelly caught yesterday.

      Delete
    2. I should add that only the yellow rods are glass, the dark blue rod is my L.L. Bean GQS... sweet graphite.

      Delete
  4. Wow. Y'all have been busy. Maybe y'all can match up with Bill Trussell more often now. Great sunfish pics. You guys seem to be pretty productive fishers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I'm looking forward to fishing with Bill again, and hopefully we'll get to learn more about Smith Lake from him. Kelly is more productive than I am, but I try.

      Delete
  5. Hey I know that guy- welcome back! Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. Unlike Memphis (which is flat), B'ham has hills... big ones. I'm looking forward to getting back on the mtn bike again in this new town.

      Delete
    2. post up on those mtb adventures once in a while- the kayaks seem to be getting all the luv~

      Delete
  6. I've never seen a green sunfish with those colors or have fins that large. That thing is awesome! It reminds me of a cichlid. Nice work on the fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like a Cichlid from the Amazon. Interesting observation. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  7. Jay
    Glad to see you guys finally got the move made. I know you will like Birmingham. All of the rivers, creeks and streams in the area have spots in them and I know it was a blast landing those spots you guys brought to hand. Looks like Kelly was the winner again with the big largemouth. I know that had to be a tussle on the fly. What flies were you using on Smith? Let me know a couple of days in advance when will be a good time for you all to come and fish. The rest of the Spring and upcoming Summer is fantastic at daylight. Glad you all are near Jasper now. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill. Kelly said to tell you the white popper is the ticket.

      Delete
  8. Well...you more than made up for your hiatus with all of these awesome pics! Glad the move has provided you with new adventures. Great sunfish varieties...wow. Glad you have come to terms that Kelly rules the waters...Haha. True love for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, RD. I know who rules the water... I'm just honored that I get to take a little credit for teaching her most of what she knows (about fly fishing).

      Delete
  9. Good stuff Jay. Beautiful fish. Glad you guys are settling in and getting back out there. You're not too far away from
    Chickamauga, so come on up if you want to try your hand at carp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite. We'll probably take you up on that offer after we get really settled in.

      Delete
  10. Amazing pictures! It's good to see such avid warm-water fly fishers! That 21.5" bass was amazing looking. Consider me subscribed.(http://sparetimefish.blogspot.com/ is mine.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anthony, thanks for stopping by and thanks for the kind words. I assume by your mention of the 21.5" bass you went back and looked at some of the "outfished by a girl" posts. I'll check out your blog too- anyone who appreciates a little warm-water fly fishing is a friend of mine.

      Delete
  11. Hey buddy, way to make up for slacking! Great photos and fish. Keep in touch Jay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Howard. I'm glad to be back in the swing of things... now I just need to catch a respectable fish like Kelly.

      Delete