Friday, March 2, 2012

Missed chance at a record breaker

Who would have guessed we just missed a chance at the new Arkansas state record Largemouth Bass?

Two days after Kelly and I fished at the very unassuming looking Lake Dunn in Village Creek State Park on Sunday, a guy who was apparently just as interested in catching catfish lands a new state record Largemouth.

Some guys have all the luck.

Read all about it at bassmaster.com.

If you look real close at the picture of Mr. Crowder holding up his trophy, I'm pretty certain the tree with the light colored bark that appears just above the fish's tail is the same tree near the boat ramp that appears just to the left of my head in the photo below.


That little one in my hand apparently has more potential than I would have ever guessed.

5 comments:

  1. Can you imagine hooking that thing on your fly rod? That would be a fun fight. Your fish were much prettier than the 16 pounder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure my past expiration date 8.5 lb tippet would have lost that battle.

      Delete
  2. Jay
    Record fish seem to always be caught in small lakes. Bluegill, bass and catfish all thrive in small waters if the lake is under a management program. I wonder if this lake is fertilized during the warm months. I know Walker County Lake about 15 minutes from our house produced a catfish last year that was 60 lbs. The lake is 160 areas and is fertilized twice a year. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering myself about the management program at this lake. I know nothing about it, but obviously something is working.

      Delete
  3. I saw that on the Arkansas Fish and Game website and immediately thought of you. Maybe if you had held your bass out a bit further and had Kelly stand WAY closer to you yours would look just as big!

    ReplyDelete