Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"Windshield time"

I get plenty of it during my average work day. That's what my supervisor calls it... the time spent behind a truck windshield... and while I'm on the road, I see a lot of things.

Occasionally (actually quite frequently), I see things that make me think of fly fishing. My thoughts are never far from wading a river with a fly rod in hand... no matter how much work keeps me away from the water.

As the classic old trucker hat says...


Here are a few of the suggestive things I've encountered in the last week or so...

Well... maybe this first one isn't so subtle. (I don't think the driver of this Mustang was a fly tyer... just a gut feeling, but he does have an expired car tag, and he's apparently a fan of the most recent Super Bowl Champs.)

Perhaps another meaning? Initials maybe? Memphis ain't exactly fly fisher central.

This one requires just a little more thought to make the connection...

I'm not sure about these Hardy Bros, but Hardy is a legendary name in fly fishing.

Then there's this street sign in the middle of suburban southeast Memphis... nowhere near flowing water... and certainly not near the river that just happens to be one of my favorite outdoor places.


The Ozark Zone Quality Smallmouth stream street sign above was accompanied by another street sign in Collierville (a Memphis suburb) that speaks of a certain Ozark Zone Blue Ribbon Smallmouth stream... that I've never gotten around to fishing. Again, the sign is nowhere near flowing water and certainly not near the creek in question.

This one is just taunting me. Why are you where you are?

So... what things in your daily life make you think you'd rather be fishing?

20 comments:

  1. Every time I talk to you or look at a picture of a river.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, I would think reading all of those research papers about stream inverts might do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work with rabbits... every time I see them I think of how much better they'd look on a hook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pass a sign marking "Troutman Road" on the way into work everyday. Even though it runs through a corporate park, I envision an old dude with a bamboo rod and wicker creel living in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I like your vision of the "Troutman"... does he wear a tweed jacket too?

      Delete
  5. Nice fun post Jay. My answer is not printable so you'll just have to use your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm... I don't have the slightest clue, and I think I'm okay with that.

      Delete
  6. Nothing like getting taunted while on the road or at work...good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's absolutely no reason for the Crooked Creek sign to be where it is except to taunt me.

      Delete
  7. We retired from serious "window time" several years ago. Something that was always interesting to me is the highway signs in TX...there might be 6 different numbered highways sharing the same two-lane road and sign post. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to retire from "windshield time," but I suspect that's quite a few years ahead of me... unless I can win the lottery.

      Delete
  8. Great post , it's amazing how so many things we encounter in a day make us think of flyfishing isn't it? I'm always noticing those kinds of things as well , the mind of a flyfisherman!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jay
    Aside from the signs and the tags, I find myself wondering what that stream I just drove by would produce if I could just wade it. Or what would that awesome looking pond produce if I could only get my little Raider boat on it. Fishing is never far from my mind. I even have to get my daily dose at night by watching a couple of my fly fishing shows---addicted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice, Bill. The only two streams I routinely drive over are ones that I have fished before and they're pretty poor places to fish (urban ditches)... so they don't really tempt me much. I occasionally see a new pond and wonder. I'm glad I don't have cable or satellite TV... I'd probably get sucked into watching those shows and stay up too late. I'm already bad enough reading blogs.

      Delete
  10. It's the number 23. We will see it everywhere and make of it whatever our hearts desire! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw that movie. When I see the number 23 I just think of the greatest basketball player ever.

      Delete
  11. I don't need taunting like that. It's always in my head, as my car is packed every day in case I see water flowing from creek, stream or river. A healthy obsession? Haven't figured that out yet...too busy looking for fish! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I need to keep a rod in my work truck just in case. It's a healthy obsession in my opinion... or at least healthier than a lot of other things we could be obsessed with.

    ReplyDelete