Monday, January 2, 2012

Highlights of 2011: "Outfished by a girl" says it all

2011 was Kelly's year.

Let's take a look back at her accomplishments from the past year...

1. In February, Kelly bought the new Subaru Outback "Adventure Wagon." In less than a year, it already has over 30,000 miles on it.

2. In March, she caught a big bass in Florida. Okay, okay... a really big bass. I admit being a little jealous. My personal best fly rod bass is only about 4 lbs.

3. In May, she caught two really nice Yellow Perch on the fly at Cypress Creek. Once again, I admit a little jealousy. Yellow Perch aren't real common in the South, and I've certainly never caught one on a fly. The only one I ever caught was on ultralight spinning gear, and it was nothing to compare with Kelly's impressive duo.

4. In June, Kelly went fishing with her brother Kevin and his family. Shortly thereafter he decided he needed a fly rod.

5. In August, she demonstrated her fishing prowess using a fly I named in a contest on the Fly Fishing & Tying Obsessed blog.

6. Also in August, she outfished us all during our fateful trip to Bear Creek. I couldn't bring myself to write about it until November.

7. She outfished me one last time for 2011 when we went fishing on Christmas Day. It's becoming a tradition... the Christmas fishing that is... hopefully not the "outfishing" part.

I think I have to finally admit the student has surpassed the teacher.

Here are a few other highlights:

1. I discovered a new favorite topwater fly for bass in March.

2. During March, I also wrote a rant of a post about snakes that actually got a little recognition from one of my fellow OBN bloggers. Thanks to all who took the time to read it.

3. In April, we had a slow day of fishing become a stellar day of snaking.

4. In June, I got the opportunity to fish with a fellow OBN blogger.

5. During the same month, I wrote another rant about snakes.

6. I also introduced my nephews to fly fishing in June.

7. Lastly in June, I wrote a piece about my most memorable trout fishing trips and placed 7th in the TU & OBN writing contest. I won a TU cap... and was oh so close to winning a trip to Montana.

8. In July, we took a road trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and I finally got to claim my Christmas kayak.

9. In August, I realized that 2011 was my year to find tiny snakes.

10. I also finished building my first fly rod rack in August.

The latter half of the year was pretty unproductive in the way of fly fishing and outdoor adventure. Kelly started graduate school in August, and I started a new job in September. We've both been really busy to say the least. Things are looking up though. I see lots of great fishing (among other things) in the year ahead.

I wish you all a belated Happy New Year, and may all of your outdoor adventures in 2012 be... awesome.

In the words of the legendary Barney Stinson...
"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
Yeah... still watching too much HIMYM.

16 comments:

  1. That's okay Jay, you're still one of my unsung heroes. I would say no matter how many fish Kelly catches the important one recognizes how lucky he is. Happy New Year to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Howard. The feeling is mutual... you're one of my blogging heroes too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Know how to stop getting outfished? Practice, practice, practice! It was like when I was on the golf team in high school. My parents would brag, "Look how dedicated our son is, he's going to practice for the fifth day in a row." My life was tough!

    You know you have a keeper companion when you can admit that you got outfished. I remember very well the few days I have been outfished by my wife, because she doesn't let me forget about them!

    Hope you both have a great 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been a pretty good year, looking forward to fishing our way through 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kirk, I wish I had more time for practice... as tough as it might be... I'd definitely be willing to suffer through some grueling practice sessions.

    Kelly, me too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jay
    Take heart you have 2012 to redeem yourself. I know a way you could win on one outing. When you guys come up to fish with me in the spring, Kelly could handle the trolling motor and that should guarantee you a win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bill, I like this idea... but I think she's too smart for it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After cruising through those old posts again, I'd say you guys had a pretty stellar year. This wasn't in the links you listed, but that picture of you back in April contemplating "taking up serpents" is hilarious. Great post, that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ty, I had almost forgotten about our stellar snake day back in April. I should have included that... actually I think I will. Clicking edit...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year to you as well!

    Looking forward to seeing redemption in 2012 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you have basically set the stage for the most Legen.... wait for it..."out fished by a girl" comeback of all time. A year in the making. Looking forward to following along :) Oh, what was that? ..... DARY! There it is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For 2012, quit keeping track of who "out caught" whom, and go to as many new places and catch as many new species as possible and take tons of photos documenting your adventures. Life is great when you have the greatest fishing partner in the world! Happy New Year to you and Kelly, Jay.
    --Julia and Cody

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sanders, thanks.

    David, I'm fine if I never make a come back... but it could be more fun than always catching fewer and smaller fish. The experience will be legendary either way.

    Julia, our goal is always to fish in as many new and interesting places as possible and document our journey in photographs. I hope you know I don't take any of this "outfished" stuff too seriously, but it has become quite comical just how good her luck has been versus mine... although it's probably more than just luck, right? Life is certainly great when you have a great partner. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll be posting more pics of snakes this year. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey I just became your 100 th follower! did I win a chevy truck or a shimano rod or something!!? I think I will lurk around and see what you have to say around here, great blog-

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think being #100 should be worth something. I don't have any Chevy trucks, but I do have an old Ford... but I can't really afford to give it away. As a fly fisher, i wouldn't expect you to get excited about a Shimano rod, but I may have one I could send you. Seriously, I'll think of something.

    ReplyDelete