Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Bunny Butt's little sister

Recently, Mike over at Troutrageous! posted about how much fun it is getting surprises in the mail. He wrote:
"There's something about getting mail in the mailbox everyday (bills aside) which is really exciting to me.  It's kind of like being a kid again on a birthday or Christmas.  You know you're getting something, but you don't know what it's going to be.  What's better than a daily surprise?  Yeah, I'm stupid like that."
Well, I for one don't think it's stupid... I totally understand. I think my addiction to Ebay has a lot to do with that Christmas-like feeling.

A few days ago, I got a surprise in the mail... and it didn't cost me a thing. Steven Milburn, the fly tyer who created the Bunny Butt Slider, sent me a new fly to test. The Bunny Butt Slider just happens to be my favorite fly for catching bass on the surface, and this new smaller version should be really nice for Spotteds, Smallies, and Redeyes. It measures just a little over 2.5".

Standard Bunny Butt Slider below for size reference

I think the standard Bunny Butt Slider (4" to 4.5") can be a little much for some of the smaller-mouthed species of Micropterus, but the "Ermine Weasel Butt Slider" should be just about perfect. It should be a great choice for Rock Bass and other larger-mouthed panfish as well. Steven experimented with a few different materials before settling on the ermine weasel tail for the smaller version.

I can't wait to do some experimenting myself.

13 comments:

  1. Is that a foam or painted cork head?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, it's foam. It's a very durable fly design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some nice looking flies. I might try and tie a few up for the largemouth and white bass around here in a couple different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I think my addiction to Ebay has a lot to do with that Christmas-like feeling." yep. :) And ordering books on Amazon. Or going to a library. Kid at Christmas! Back on track now....great looking fly! Just caught my first smallie last weekend, and will have to tie some of these up and go out for more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HPFF, if the White Bass are feeding on the surface I couldn't think of a better fly than this one in the white/red color scheme. I think it would be very productive. I've caught a good number of Largemouths with the big Bunny Butt, but I haven't gone after White Bass lately... sounds like a good place to start experimenting.

    Erin, why haven't we seen this Smallie on Mysteries Internal? Hopefully, we'll get to hear more about your Smallie fishing soon. They're our favorite fish around here, maybe you can understand now that you've caught one... maybe you'll have to catch a few more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice surprise for sure...have fun with the new flies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice surprise :) I'll have to keep those in mind next time I'm looking to catch some bass.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The title alone had me check out this post. Those look like nice flies. I might have to try tying that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sanders, I will.

    David, they're really great bass flies. You can find Steven's flies on Ebay. Just search for "Bunny Butt Slider" to find him. He uses the seller name "sneektip79".

    Kev, the title was meant to lure you in. I'm glad to know it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jay
    Is this the same fly you landed the spot on back in the spring on Smith? The reason I think this fly is so effective is the likeness of shad. I never had a chance to order some----can you send me the link?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bill, it is. I'll send you an e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "....catching Bass on the surface..." Says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. H'bone, I take it you understand.

    ReplyDelete