|"Premium Japanese"... maybe I should be making Tenkara flies.|
because I've been wanting to make a few of these...
I've never tried making (hard to call it "tying") any bead body flies before, but I'm pretty satisfied with the results of my first attempt. They're super simple, and if they actually catch any fish they'll be well worth the effort... which was minimal.
They tying is simply enough wraps of thread (behind the last bead) to keep the beads from sliding off and a couple of whip finishes. I cemented the thread wraps for durability. Most of what I "tied" are on size 12 scud hooks, but there are a couple size 16 in the mix. I think the size 16 are actually a bit too small for the beads. I found out the hard way that I'm currently out of size 14 hooks, but I think they would work pretty well.
I bought the lime green and red, but the rest of the colors I used were leftover from my mother's heyday of making beaded jewelry several years ago. She let me raid her supply and fill a couple boxes with colors that I thought would be useful.
|same stuff, different background|
I'm not really sure what in nature (if anything) some of these little gems might represent... other than maybe some larger Chironomids. I would consider most of them to be attractor patterns. I did make the lime green with the brown/black heads with the intention of imitating caddis pupae. I also tied a couple with Hungarian partridge soft hackle and a copper bead head. They're slightly more complicated than the all seed bead version, but they might still be simpler than Midgeman's "very simple little BH soft hackle caddis." I had no idea that he would be posting that right before I posted this... and I certainly have no desire to steal his thunder or compete with his impressive ties... but these seed bead flies really are simple.
Now I just need to get out and see what the trout think.