Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Delicious Damsels... like fish candy?

Well, I hope the Smallies (and their cousins) think so.

One of the Smallmouth Bass streams where Kelly and I fish has quite a healthy damselfly population, but I've never fished an actual damselfly nymph pattern there. I've used Woolly Buggers and probably a Hare's Ear Nymph or two, but I haven't really tried to imitate the natural forage any better than that.

I decided to experiment with tying up a few damselfy nymphs. This is something I've never tried to tie before. I searched for a pattern that I liked online, but after looking at several dozen patterns or so... and not being satisfied, I settled on creating my own. I borrowed a little inspiration from each of the damsel patterns I saw out there... but mine is fairly original.


These were tied on Daiichi #1750 size 6 streamer hooks. I used UTC blue dun 140 denier thread. The bead chain eyes are from a discarded ceiling fan pull. The body is dubbed from some homemade dubbing I chopped up from some silvery gray acrylic yarn. The wire rib is copper from some old electrical wiring... I don't remember the exact source. (I love making flies from salvaged junk and mom's old craft supplies.) The tail is a very modest amount of gray marabou and just a hint of midge flash. The collar is Hungarian Partridge soft hackle. The head (built up with thread around the eyes) is finished with Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails" for durability... as usual with my creations.

I can hardly wait to drop one of these off the back of one of those big foam hoppers... and watch that simple foam and silicone goodness get dragged deep under water by a big fish that can't resist a delicious damsel. At least that's how I imagine it will go down... pun fully intended. Only time and warmer weather will tell.

I know if I were a fish, I would give one a taste test.

I probably wouldn't make it very long as a fish... I'd likely end up on a stringer pretty quickly. I'm a sucker for anything that comes in a shiny wrapper and looks like candy.

16 comments:

  1. Nice flies. I don't think there will be any problem with catching bass with those guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasty looking! Like little gumdrops! And we all know that flies catch fishermen as well as fish, don't we.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking flies.
    They surely have fish taking abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jay said...I'm a sucker.

    Jay, suckers don't end up on stringers! Really nice ties. I fish a lake in Colo. where I think these would kill on the chunky trout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, gentlemen.

    Cofisher, you're right... suckers don't end up on stringers. I hadn't thought about that. I think maybe I needed a Snickers when I wrote this... seriously, I have a candy problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jay, if you haven't checked it out, search on by blog for Bugs of the Underworld by Ralph Cutter. It gives you a whole new perspective on how to fish damsels, backed by videoed research. The video is worth it's weight in gold to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tip, Cofisher. I had my king size Reese's Peanut Butter Cups after lunch... I should be good for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Y'all think he's kidding... but if he's in a bad mood all I have to do is give him candy or cookies. Or of course say, "Let's go fishing."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelly, if you just walking into the room doesn't get him out of bad mood then he's a sick man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm (almost) always in a good mood when Kelly is around... and I'll leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, a vid on damselflies?? Cool...I'm checking it out! i love the buggy eyes on these, Jay. Good job. And it's ok...I had Carmello for lunch after I read "My Leaky Waders" post...Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still haven't had my daily dose of chocolate... thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dang, Jay. Those are pretty sharp. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Ty. Glad you like 'em. They're really pretty simple... and cheap... except for the hooks and HP hackle.

    ReplyDelete