Saturday, January 15, 2011

Marabou Clouser Minnow

I've begun tying a few flies in preparation for spring bass fishing... nothing too fancy, mostly classic patterns like Woolly Buggers (and variations thereof)... and I'll probably tie some Marabou Muddlers too. I admit I'm not very good at spinning deer hair (Kelly is actually much better at than I am), but I'll force myself to do it in order to make one of my favorite flies. By the way, the Marabou Muddler is probably my favorite fly pattern. I could dedicate an entire blog post to how awesome that pattern is... I think I'll actually do that sometime, but not today.

Since I apparently like the action of marabou so much, I decided to do a bit of experimentation with a classic pattern. I thought, "since I don't have any good hair for tying Clouser Minnows at the moment, I'll tie one with some marabou and see how it turns out."

Marabou Clouser Minnow

I think it turned out pretty well, and I imagine it might catch a fish or two. After I finished tying my little variation of the Clouser, I decided to "google" it to see what others out there have tied up. There are indeed a few out there, and you can even buy a "Clouser Marabou Minnow" from Big Y Fly Company. I think mine might be a bit better, but I might be just a bit biased.

I tied the body on mine with some polyester metallic floss from the craft store which I think helps give the fly a little more bulk than a traditional Clouser. I also used a size 6 long shank streamer hook to give it a bigger body. My thinking: bass like big meals. I tied the fly with UTC "blue dun" thread. I used Spirit River 5/32 nickel "Real Eyes" and pearl midge flash for the belly (or under wing).  I used white marabou for the tail. Since Clousers ride with the hook in the up position, I used darker gray marabou for the top wing (actually on the underside of the hook) to make the minnow countershaded just like you would find in nature. I'll probably tie some with a black wing too. I really like how well the marabou hides the hook... I promise there's one in there... just as long as the fish can find it, I'm okay with it being invisible.

I really like how the fly turned out, so I'll probably get back to the bench tonight and crank out a few more. I'm very much looking forward to catching some spring bass, and putting this new pattern (for me) to the test.

4 comments:

  1. I like it too Jay. That'll catch fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were a fish I'd eat it, looks good.

    Thanks for the advice on the Featherlight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does look pretty good. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments guys. I'll be sure to give a report... but it may be a while.

    ReplyDelete