Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The fly fishing paint chip connection

This post may seem a little odd, but I imagine some of my fellow outdoor enthusiasts trapped in urban environs can probably identify.

I have recently taken more notice of ordinary everyday things that "speak" to me in subtle ways that make me want to be out fly fishing. Some of the more recent things that made me pause to ponder fly fishing were in a selection of paint chips at the Home Depot. I was selecting paint colors from the Freshaire Choice paint display... and some of the color names just "spoke" to me...

Rushing Stream, Winding River, Healing Waters, Naturalist Gray

The last one in the bunch isn't directly connected to fly fishing per se, but I'm sure you can see why it caught my eye. Paint chips aren't the only things out there that daily remind me of the fact that I don't live in a rustic cabin perched on the bank of a perfect fishing stream... street names, clothing brand names, the salmon in the grocery store fresh seafood case (maybe that one isn't so subtle), and even the occasional Kia Rio (very subtle, requiring Spanish translation) all make me yearn for the stream.

Just wondering if anyone else out there is plagued by the same sort of affliction.

10 comments:

  1. A very interesting look at paint.
    I never knew it existed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you and Kelly should look into the cabin real estate market. Now's the time to buy! Kate and Kevin made their log cabin longings come to fruition. I think you can too:). Oh-and no matter how fierce those longings become, don't lick those paint chips;-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dustin and I went the same route for paint in our old bedroom. Our trim was whitetail and the wall color river rock. It is strange how we gravitated to those colors. So many different things make me think of a cold, clear stream. It is nice to hear I am not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. S&D, I've also chosen paint colors because of their names... "Mojave Gold" after a visit to Death Valley... My bedroom is "Painted Turtle" and I'm just a bit of a reptile biologist... "Mississippi Mud" for my spare bedrooms because I live in Memphis on the muddy banks of the mighty Mississippi... like I said, the colors speak to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very funny. Haven't painted for awhile, but I'm sure that I would gravitate towards outdoorsey names! I think that I will order "rushing stream" for my damsel-cave when it's ready.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No affliction here, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, when I go to the store and see a case of Coors, I think of pure Rocky Mountain spring water. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Howard that definitely counts. That's exactly the kind of obscure connection I'm talking about... and if the connection is made because you like to enjoy an ice cold Coors after a day of fishing, that's perfectly alright too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jay
    I can relate--our daughters street is Cold Water Stream-----How is that to get you thinking??? Good Post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it would be a really cool just to have an address like that...
    I live at "1234 Cold Water Stream..."
    Of course, if it was nowhere near an actual stream it would be just another annoying daily reminder.

    ReplyDelete